Provide feedback and suggestions for the website and the forums.
ikosaeder

Forum categories and topics

by ikosaeder Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:29 pm

Hey guys, glad to be on board now! ;) However, I got a little bit confused about the decentralization of developer output and community input. So here my 2 cents about what you want (imo) and how you might get it easier...

Hype
(concerning social media)

The developers' output on media platforms, streams, forums etc. has two crucial goals:
a. New people hear about Empires Apart (like myself), and
b. it keeps your fans up-to-date.
Actually, you don't have to advertise much because you fulfill our dream already :mrgreen: and as anyone can see, the community is already hyped! ^_^

But please focus a little bit more on those two aspects:
  • Continue cooperations with famous RTS streamers and repeatedly mention your internet presences! Video description is not sufficient... ;)
  • Live streams are a great way to team up with the community, but not every newcomer likes to watch a couple of old 1-hour records to be on the latest state. All new fans have the same questions in mind, and in every stream you've attracted some more of them. So outline the status quo in the beginning: http://empiresapart.net/about/ which is just one and a half minute of talking...
  • You could also summarize Q + A + time stamp in the video description, but that would be the icing on the cake.

Feedback
(concerning forum)

I browsed the forum and have to say, I already love the policy of DESTINYbit ! In the gaming industry, RTS genre was nearly out of the picture. Your attempt to bring it back is golden, especially since those players who kept it alive for 1,5 decades are on board. I'm totally glad you have this forum. And as a former admin, I would like to address some issues you will have to face sooner or later.

What do you want in this forum? All sort of feedback, but this will mostly consist of...
a. bug reports of the pre-build/alpha/beta -> must read (just saying bc as AoE player, you know why^^)
b. player impressions (personal opinions on graphics, lag issues, in-game communication etc.) -> read once popular
c. discussions about balancing changes -> read once result is drawn
d. player suggestions of new features -> depends on you
e. website/forum feedback -> won't happen that often

What will you for sure get in the forum, too? Ofc some trolls, but it's also human to share stories and screenshots of moments that impressed you a lot. That's more a "community" thing and not a "developer" one, but I hope you appreciate it... :)

Anyway, I'm sure that b+c+d are going to be the most productive categories, and right now all of them are posted in General Discussion which already consists of more than 100 topics (85% of the whole forum). The more your development proceeds, the more puplicity you will gain and the more player will join your forum. At some point, I really suggest you separate General Discussion in (sub-)categories!

That's all, I hope my post fits the category's purpose. Again, I love your work so please keep it up! Oh and sorry for my bad English, no native speaker. Cheers!
ikosaeder

Re: Forum categories and topics

by ikosaeder Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:34 pm

I can give you one suggestion as I would do the category separation, using more sections so people don't have to click on sub-categories (which is a no-go when avertible).

Empires Apart Alpha: General
  • Official Announcements
  • Newcomer Zone
  • Your Greatest Moments
  • Technical Support
[you have to keep track of announcements somewhere, and a forum won't be the worst place to start with (only admins can post, sticked);
imo it's important that new people have a category for first greetings and especially testing how to work with a forum;
you could even let people send in screenshots and mention the weekly winner, but there is still plenty of time]

Empires Apart Alpha: Balancing
  • Civilizations
  • Game Mechanics and Tactics
  • Units
  • Buildings
  • Maps
[balancing is incredibly difficult and sadly a bottomless pit, so people will discuss it over and over and over; but once pro players analysed an aspect long enough, exchanged views and came to a conclusion, it's your time to listen attentively]

Empires Apart Alpha: Gameplay Impressions and Feedback
  • Bug Reports
  • Style (Graphics and Texture)
  • Internet Connection and Game Smoothness
  • Communication and Diplomacy
  • Website and Forum Feedback
  • Suggestions for new Features
[most of those topics work self filtering: let the community do their stuff; and once a post is upvoted a lot, you should look at it]
zamy
DESTINYbit Staff

by zamy Sun Jul 10, 2016 3:41 pm

Makes sense :D
Anyway, we already have in mind a reorganization for the beta :)
------------------------------------------------
Daminato Simone @zaminatoe
DESTINYbit
Co-founder & Technical Director
ikosaeder

by ikosaeder Sun Jul 10, 2016 4:25 pm

zamy wrote:Makes sense :D
Anyway, we already have in mind a reorganization for the beta :)

Okay sounds good :D
So I'm going put all sorts of suggestions in the General Discussion category, got it.
Trolerkules

by Trolerkules Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:24 pm

im just gonna hijack this thread because of this:

ikosaeder wrote:[balancing is incredibly difficult and sadly a bottomless pit, so people will discuss it over and over and over; but once pro players analysed an aspect long enough, exchanged views and came to a conclusion, it's your time to listen attentively]

if you ever, once the game is in a playable state, feel like you could use a high level player for some early balance or game design input, im glad to jump in. i play sc2 at a very high master level, i was top 3 global in age of empires online, im currently top 3 global in 8-bit armies and littlewargame. ive also actively helped balancing age of empires online before and did some balance work in lwg as well.
www.twitch.tv/trolerkules -> will stream empires apart here in the future
www.youtube.com/user/trolerkules

#2 is not enough
zamy
DESTINYbit Staff

by zamy Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:20 pm

Trolerkules, don't worry, to get hints from pro players to balance it better was in our plan from the beginning :)
------------------------------------------------
Daminato Simone @zaminatoe
DESTINYbit
Co-founder & Technical Director
Return to Website Feedback & Suggestions