Generic discussion about other RTSs
Theatre

Current RTS Games

by Theatre Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:45 pm

Hey all, just starting a new thread to discuss RTS in general. I'm excited to see Empires Apart in development and looking forward to its release. Other recent or upcoming RTS games include SC2: LotV, Grey Goo (GG), Act of Aggression (AoA), etc. Shallow Space is also coming out soon, although I think that's single-player only.

Anyone playing any of these, or other RTS games? Feel free to comment on what you like, dislike, etc.
Gijs

Re: Current RTS Games

by Gijs Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:51 pm

Aside from Age of Empires and Age of Mythology, I only play Starcraft currentely. I am not sure however if I will buy Legacy of the Void, but I am enjoying Heart of the Swarm for example. I am Master on Heart of the Swam currentely, but I also play a lot of custom mods. In my opinion, these map editors in Starcraft and Age of Mythology really keep the community alive. Are you bored of your ranked matches? Play some tower defence for example.
Gijs van Everdingen

Twitch
Make sure to watch: Los Emperios Seperados
zamy
DESTINYbit Staff

by zamy Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:05 pm

Gijs wrote: Are you bored of your ranked matches? Play some tower defence for example.

Variations are always good stuff :)
------------------------------------------------
Daminato Simone @zaminatoe
DESTINYbit
Co-founder & Technical Director
AndreB

by AndreB Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:35 am

Hm looking at recent RTS´s this game has a lot of potencial to grab people that enjoyed age of empires style of games. Recent games like grey goo and act of agression suit more a different crowd, but even them are struggling a bit to find a core audience.

Still looking at how Age of Empires, RIse of nations and Age of mythology HD editions are popular on steam i think theres a very good chance to grab a core playerbase to play your game. Even though these games have fundamentaly flawed multiplayer lobby implementations with a lot of people complaining about lag in the steam discussion sections.

Also i dont know if you know 0AD.
http://play0ad.com/

Its a free open source game that has been in development for years now, even had a indie gogo campaign with relative sucess. But in the end the game is still plagued by pathfinding issues(the hardest part to implement in RTS games it seems), lackluster multiplayer lobby system and with graphics that were awesome years ago but slowly keep getting worse with time.

Also something that might be worth mentioning is that normaly having a core fun single player aspect to your game can be a key feature in making people stay, and it also helps them learn the game and get interested in the factions. Sometimes multiplayer is fun but the single player is the first thing people do when they open your game ;)

Without spamming more lines of text :mrgreen: i think 0 AD and the HD versions are the best competition you might face in the near future, theres some unanounced microsoft game studio formed but i doubt its anything age of empires related.

So id say you do have a spot in the market ;)
zamy
DESTINYbit Staff

by zamy Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:56 am

AndreB wrote:So id say you do have a spot in the market ;)

Well, there's no point in making a game that no one will play, isn't it? :lol:
------------------------------------------------
Daminato Simone @zaminatoe
DESTINYbit
Co-founder & Technical Director
Chloe10

by Chloe10 Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:43 pm

Has anybody heard of Cossacks a brilliant RTS game and you can pick it up on steam for just £2! Cossacks Back to War is an amazing RTS game and it is years old now. recently the developers have been talking about their new game Cossacks 3 which looks even more incredible so far it looks as they have taken everything from the original game and improved it massively cannot wait to play later this year :mrgreen:
MonjedeBeto

by MonjedeBeto Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:10 am

Its a free open source game that has been in development for years now, even had a indie gogo campaign with relative sucess. But in the end the game is still plagued by pathfinding issues(the hardest part to implement in RTS games it seems), lackluster multiplayer lobby system and with graphics that were awesome years ago but slowly keep getting worse with time.

The graphic are better.
Return to Other RTSs